Thursday, June 17, 2010

Confession No. 419

Nestled among my cookbooks is a well-loved and similarly-worn copy of The Betty Crocker Cookbook. It's the one who's front cover is floating around my pantry and who's back cover is holding onto it's last spiral ring; the one where pages 204 and 205 are stuck together and index pages have been sacrificed to the moving gods two homes ago.

That this Velveteen Compilation came into my cooking life at all was laughable...not a choice...it came with John, a gift to him as he set off to conquer adulthood. I've always derided it for being so 'pedestrian.'

So clearly, I didn't crack its spine for the delectable-sounding Fish-Vegetable Medley (page 71), Glorified Cheese Cauliflower (page 173) or even the Pineapple-Stuffed Spareribs (page 51)...gag!

No, it earned it's 'well-loved' status because when it comes to basics, this almanac cooks to perfection. Pancakes? Page 197. Hard-boiled eggs? Page 103. Teaspoons in a tablespoon? 3, on Page 357. For almost a quarter-century (yes, we've been together that long!), it's been my go-to guide for the fundamentals.

Until now.
I have fallen for another, and Betty can find her own way home.
(Sorry Saw Doctors, I had to!)
My heart now belongs to Joy. She's much more robust, more flexible and doesn't take herself nearly as seriously when she lectures on cheesecake (page 742)....She's the Joy of Cooking and I'm in love.

So when I asked the finals-taking, delayed-opening boys what they wanted for brekkie this week, I consulted Joy when they said: Waffles (page 646).

She didn't disappoint, offering three amounts for butter and the rationale behind each as well as a buttermilk variety...the sliced strawberries were Jere's idea.

Details?
Here goes:
(with props to Joy of Cooking, 75th Anniversary Edition...Rombauer, Becker & Becker)

-Your waffle iron is your own...figure out how to use it...mine's ancient, a gift from my bridal shower, so I can't help ya...
-Slice about a c of strawberries...or about 10 medium ones.
-In a large bowl, combine 1 and 3 quarters c all-purpose flour, 2 t baking powder, a quarter t baking soda, a quarter t cinnamon, 1 T sugar and a half t salt. Make a well in the center.
-In a smaller bowl, whisk 3 eggs, 1 and a third (or so) sticks melted butter and 1 and a half c buttermilk.
-Pour the contents of the smaller bowl into the larger one and whisk only to combine...
-Fold in the strawberries and work your waffle iron magic.

Joy bakes like a dream; sautes like a beast; and boils like a charm.

Like their father before them, the lads will have a woman at their sides as they prepare to conquer adulthood...Move over Betty, there's a new Chef in town and she's a Joy to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment