Monday, June 14, 2010

Tethered

With some trepidation, I rejoined the World of the Wired and now have a mobile phone ...

And even though it's the fanciest, schmanciest, Blackberry I'm still not so sure I wanna be one of those folks who doesn't watch where she's walking or is a slave to the blinking red light - Again.

Yes, my friends, I was one of those people. One of the many driven to oblivion by the duty-filled call of the office, the obligatory ring from home and the seductive prospect of a magical email from afar. I believed each vibration held a vital piece of knowledge that surely would make me the envy of my universe.

And most often, I was mistaken:

Ooooo...an email! Could this be a morsel of political intrigue? I'd ask my self with glee.
Ohhh, I'd sigh after clicking my device to life...just another store's email telling me how out-of-fashion I'd be if I didn't buy a certain this that or the other - at 50 percent off, no less. Blech!

Although I felt naked at first, I began my three months of blissful ignorance the day I was let go and, soon I felt liberated. Liberated, I tell you! I was on my own without panicked requests for cheese-filled pretzels while checking out at the market...Just my GPS and me trolling for victuals.

Ah, those were the days...

But I'm resolving to be reasonable - where the mobile is concerned, anyway - and not let it control me...And if I slip into CrackBerry mode, just smack me!

To 'celebrate' my return, and the return of our patio steps, the Bubbles gave me Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Breasts!

Details?
Here goes:

-Fire up the grill!
-In a shallow dish (I used a 9x13 baking dish, or a ziptop bag would do) prepare marinade.
-Combine a quarter c olive oil, 4 minced garlic cloves, 2 T dried oregano, a half t each ground cumin, ground coriander, fenugreek and white pepper, 1 t lemon zest & 3 T lemon juice (from about a half of a lemon) and 1 t salt. You can put all this in a blender (with just rough chopping the garlic) and whir to combine.
-Butterfly the 2 lbs (or 4) chicken breasts by slicing them horizontally but not all the way through and soak in marinade for up to 4 hours....I did 30 mins and it was quite flavorful.
-Pop on the grill and enjoy!

I'm still torn about going mobile but am thrilled that I've kept my addiction to a minimum...tho, it did come with Solitaire...Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment