Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Hangin out in '80s Alternative MusicLand

No, you won't find this Land in Lake Buena Vista or in Anaheim - I think it would send the kiddies to Maleficent for comfort - and honestly, I'm surprised by how big this Land is in our record collection. Yes, I said Record collection. As in vinyl - 33 and a third - skipping when you dance.

And I do. A lot.

I couldn't believe this DJ session started 'cuz Dill asked if I've ever heard of Erasure.

Are you kidding me, Child? cried my speech bubble! But actually I said: Yeah-ya! So we started Googling and YouTubing and soon I rolled over to some of the records and started pulling out everything - from the Eurogliders to Ultravox to English Beat to Yaz...and my favorite of the day: Flesh for LULU - spinning one song after another...Much to my delight and the boys' embarrassment.

Ah, memory lane...made me nostalgic for 'foods of yesteryear'...ya know, tasty things that have had their voguish luster replaced by other fads: Swedish meatballs, tuna casserole, chicken tetrazzini, Tab, JELL-O mold. Some have passed the test of time, like fondue; and others haven't, dare I say Tang?

One thing that still has cache for me is creamy, briny, shrimp salad...and it became nostalgic since I haven't had it in Forever. Thankfully, the Bubbles offered me langoustine tails (frozen from the market), avocado and Romaine lettuce.

Details?
Here goes:

-In a medium bowl, combine: a third c plain Greek-style yogurt, juice from half a lemon (about 1 and a half T), 2 grated medium garlic cloves, 1 t grated fresh (frozen) ginger, 2 thinly sliced scallions, a quarter t each fenugreek powder and smoked paprika, a splash of worcestershire and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
-Cut avocado into half-inch dice and fold that and 12 oz (defrosted) langoustine tails (or shrimp) into the sauce.
-Lightly dress about 4 c of Romaine ribbons (three-quarters to an inch wide) with a lemony vinaigrette and serve the seafood salad on top.

Mmmmm... I Confess (English Beat), my Master Mixologist provided the perfect dry Martini counterpoint - after all, they've made a comeback too! - and as Always (Erasure), it was Heaven (Eurogliders).

Wait! Don't Go! (Yaz) Is it just me, or can one tiny nugget derail your train for the better part of an afternoon too?

Oh well, when my train finds the station, I'll send you a Postcard from Paradise (Flesh for LULU).

2 comments:

  1. now we're talking - food AND music!!! If you like 80s and dancing, you should with me to Sex Dwarf (an early Soft Cell song, nothing too kinky unfortunately) in Philly, once a month... not that I can go that often... sounds like you'd be right in your place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food and music are the elixirs of Life! Well, with a little Sex Dwarf thrown in!

    ReplyDelete