Tuesday, February 16, 2010

And so she begins...

Another day, another pitch I never made to the Food Network or anyone else for my "cooking show"...not that I want to have the show, mind you, but every evening I seem to star in my very own cooking challenge show and it's called Dinner.

When my son Jeremy (14) gets home from school, he rings me at work and the mad - 3 hour - dash to figure out what's for dinner begins. It's been this way for about the past seven years when Jere began to put me on the spot to answer his culinary curiosity.

My cell goes off at 3p:
J: Hi Mom,
S: Hi Jere.
J:
We're home.
S: Kewl, how's your day?
J: Um, it's good thanks, yours?
S: It's good thanks.
J:
Mom, um, what's for dinner?
[Here's where the imagination bubbles containing different foods found in my fridge, freezer and pantry start erupting over my head as I try to put together a meal.]
S: Uh, how 'bout blah-dee-blah?
J: Oh, OK, sounds good.

And from those bubbles of proteins, veg, starch and flavorings, I somehow pull together a dinner almost every night of the week that pleases my three guys (Jere, Dillon (17) and John (hubby)) and that I want to eat too.

So welcome to my personal Recipe for Disaster...if I can keep up with this, you'll get a glimpse into Meal Madness and to see if each night was a Recipe for Disaster or a Recipe for Delight.

7 comments:

  1. cool - go for it - sounds like my life... only mine goes, what would you like for dinner (x2 to a 14 and 13 year old), I don't know. I don't mind. Arghhhhhh!!!! So, if you can give me ideas, I would be VERY grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured this is something every household could relate to!!
    Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for YOU, Suzanne!! I graduated atthe top of my culinary school class and I couldn't do much better. Except my baloons start filling when Doug starts a grocery store list and I have to think ahead and figure what I can make vast quantities of on Sunday so it'll be an easy nuke and eat for at leastthree or four other days! Want to collaborate on my culinary sit-com based on my school experience? It would be a blast! Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all that and a bag of chips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annemarie, You were always such a GREAT cook! I'm diggin the idea of your culinary sit-com...tell me more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is better than watching you occasionally eating these leftovers for lunch, 'cuz now we have the recipes written down! Hoorah!

    ReplyDelete