Friday, February 26, 2010

Best laid plans of Moms of men...

...are often blown out by wind.

Lo and behold, the latest snow 'event' to hit the NYC/Philly metro area...

[OK, let me pause for two secs:
-event, because I'm tired of 'snowmageddon, snowicane, blizzarama' etc; and
-NYC/Philly metro area, because my neck of Central Joisey is smack-dab in the middle and I get weather reports for Gotham AND BrotherlyLove.]

...came later than expected. So my favorite mixologist was already home, chilling the martini glasses and anticipating my return so he could make the 'tini he fantasized about on the commute home.

As a snowy eve practically cries for soup, I thought I'd make a roasted butternut squash concoction that got rave reviews a few weeks ago.

Yay! I got home, John shook a magical martini garnishing it with an unconventional cornichon, and I set to peeling and cuttin up the squash...I preheat the oven, put the squash to roast, set the timer and plopped on the couch to enjoy my men, martini and the US v. Canada women's gold medal hockey game...

...and the electricity promptly went out. No problem, I thought. It's a gas oven, right? While the guys found and lit candles and turned on the fireplace (yeah, it's gas too), I reset the alarm on my cell for the squash...

...a little kvetching, a little silliness, and whaddya know, the timer went off ... and so had the oven. No squash. Nevermind how I would've pureed it if it were ready.

Time to ring our favorite neighborhood haunt...and YES! the Tail had power.

And so did we at this point, but we were Tail bound! (and the squash was in the fridge, prepped for Friday's soup).

Besides, it was snowier on Friday!

(Oh, and if you're keepin track, the US ladies took home the silver...Yay Us, Yay Them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment