Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Swee-ee-eat Inspiration...

...comes from the oddest places.

In the deep recesses of the fridge last night, I found a plastic container of leftover short ribs…and this I remembered only after glancing at the NYTimes' Dining Section today and noticing a recipe for short ribs...as kreplach?

Great idea! Gonna take my leftovers and make em into kreplach or egg rolls or some such nonsense.


Sweet Dill took the egg roll wrappers outta the freezer earlier so they could defrost gently...yes, he does what I ask (as long as we're not talkin homework) and yes, I do keep egg roll wrappers and/or wonton wrappers in the freezer...

I define 'a staple' in my kitchen on a varied and wide list. Asian items, Latin items, Italian, Jewish, French, American...whatever...I have at least one representative from each cuisine and feel comfy using any of 'em.

John was at a work meeting this eve, so the guys and I could simplify dinner: aka, entree only and it was egg rolls!

Details?
Here goes:

-Pulled the aging leek out of the fridge and using the white part, cut it into quarters then into quarter-inch slices and placed in a bowl with tepid water as a rinse...I use a kind of triangularly shaped bowl that has more of a point at the bottom, therefore is less round or bulbous, in order to catch and trap the sand at the bowl's bottom.
-Dice a stalk of celery and put it into a pan with about 2T olive oil; when translucent, add the drained leeks; then the chopped leftover shortribs with 4 halved and sliced baby bella mushrooms and a heavy dose of ground pepper. No need for salt after the 2t hoisin sauce and 2t chili/garlic paste.
-Cook until all's heated through...
Place 2 hefty Ts into center of each egg roll wrapper...
-Whoops! Heat 2" canola/veg/peanut oil to about 350 degrees in a suitable pan...
-Fold wrappers according to package directions. (If you can't find yours, comment or email me and I'll walk you through it...) and seal with water...
-Deep fry for about 2 mins for each one...drain on paper towels.

My goodness they were terrific...the guys were highly complimentary, but only had one each even though Jere said he hadn't had lunch...I, otoh, had more than was lady-like or wise.
But, hey, NO ONE has ever suggested I was either!

Oh, and as for the title of this post: First time I heard this song, it was sung by Barbra Streisand; the BEST time I heard this song, it was sung by Derek Trucks Band....

...every hour of the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment