Friday, February 19, 2010

Righetti Spaghetti

Remember that?
K, so it's not Wednesday...but Thursday was pasta night. It's my go-to meal anchor when
I can't recall what's in the freezer so the protein bubbles come up empty.

Driving home, I (mentally!) ran through the pantry (and fridge) options: Canned diced tomatoes, check, oooo and they're fire roasted too...when did I get those?; canned artichoke hearts, check; bacon, check; capers and anchovies, check...

What I didn't have was actual spaghetti! Half box of this, half box of that. Who didn't eat those nights?

OK, penne'll have to do. Oooo, what's that? Golden raisins! A little sweetness to balance the salty, smoky stuff...Score!

Details?
Here goes:

-Started water for pasta with a *lot* of salt...Yes, I find it *does* flavor the pasta.
-Into a saute pan with about 2T of olive oil went four minced garlic cloves, and a large minced shallot. And when I realized I didn't start the bacon before the aromatics, I got it out of the freezer and lopped off the equivalent of about two slices of the applewood smoked kind and tossed it into the pan. To keep the aromatics from burning while the bacon defrosted, I added about a quarter cup of water.
-As the water cooked down, added about four anchovy fillets. Sssshhh, don't tell Jere...he doesn't do food that lives in water. With a little wooden-spoon mashing, they 'melted' into the bit of water and the oil. Added the drained capers, about 1T.
-Added a 15oz can of tomatoes with juice and a good handful of the raisins...a bit more water -- gotta have a sauce afterall! -- and then the drained artichoke hearts which I halved. Ground some pepper on top...didn't need salt with the capers, anchovies and bacon.
-A pound of pasta into the water; sauce simmering...
-Put the drained pasta into the sauce and all into a big bowl...parm on top...

Family happily fed...and no leftovers.



No comments:

Post a Comment