Friday, April 9, 2010

Caramel corn to die for!

Seeing as it's Friday - pizza day! - I thought I'd tempt you with a not-too-sweet snack that doesn't last long whether it's offered from the bowl or bag. It's tough to keep this guilty pleasure at arm's distance so there's a bit left to watch TV with...

A few of you - Vonnie, Catherine, Elena you too, right? - have had the pleasure of sinking your teeth into chewy fresh popcorn laced with rich sweet salty caramel and perhaps a few pecans. Those of you who haven't had that indulgence will have to recreate it on your own...or knock on my door. It's that good.

Now, I don't suppose it speaks well of my character to speak so well of my creations...But here's the thing: I'd say the same of someone else's - if it tasted as good (better's cool too)! By now you know me: I cook what I want to eat; I like to eat well; and if it's not good this go-round, I'll play until it's just where I crave it. (By the way, I've played with this quite a bit!)

Details?
Here goes:

-Pop yer corn. I heat the dutch oven with about a quarter c canola oil and 3 kernels in the bottom. (I'm not finished with the corn instructions yet if you're goin retro and not microwaving it, but I'll do simultaneous corn/caramel play-by-play since this is how I go about it. Oooo, I'll color the corn directions in green and the caramel directions in an orange. I love technology!)
-In another sauce pan, add a half c water to 2 c sugar and stir on high heat until sugar dissolves.
-By now, the 3 kernels have popped - Don't forget to keep the lid on!! - so add almost a quarter c more kernels to the pot and slap on the lid. You're gonna hafta shake the pot to keep the kernels moving so they don't burn. It's ready when there's about 5 seconds between pops. Remember Jiffy Pop? Kinda like that.
-When the sugar's dissolved, Stop stirring and let it come up to a boil. Watch this VERY carefully, because browning sugar goes from delectable to disgusting in a no time flat. You can shimmy the pan, but no stirring.
-When the corn is popped, toss it into a large bowl that you've sprayed with oil and sprinkle on about a half t of salt and a couple handfuls of pecans if you'd like.
-When the caramel is a lovely amber, cut the heat and add 3 T butter stirring.
-Quickly pour over the popcorn add another half t of salt and carefully mix the whole thing with a silicone or rubber spatula.
-Let cool...you can even spread it into a single layer on a Silpat-lined baking sheet to cool off in the freezer if you're impatient like me...then break it into bite-sized or hand-sized pieces to enjoy.

OK, there are about 3 salty foods on the planet that John could ignore without trouble...1 is popcorn...but to get some of this, he'd walk half-way around the planet - proverbially speaking, of course!

Are you craving it yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment