Thursday, April 8, 2010

Thank you Cuisinart!

Wow...place an order on Tuesday with the cheapest, slooooowest delivery option...and get it on Thursday - Now that's service with me smiling!

Even though my food processor is back in business, the Bubbles didn't care. They offered me pasta, beans, tomatoes and salty condiments....with a bounty like that, how could I refuse?

I couldn't....besides, I've had enough "meat" to last me...and I'm getting a little cranky. Which is probably why making dinner tonight was an ADD disaster!

Facebook IMing with a friend I desperately needed to hear from; talking on the phone; sending and receiving emails - including one so supportive, and from an unexpected source, that nearly brought me to (happy) tears; heating the pan then peeling the garlic - ACK, no wait! the bacon needs to go in the pan first!; What John? Yes, you can put the pasta in pot...wait, wait...Not Yet!!!

And on and on...I did finally get my groove back...

Details?
Here goes:

-Start the pasta water to boil...with lotsa salt!...and at the appropriate time, boil the pasta to al dente.
-Preheat large skillet and add 3 slices applewood-smoked bacon sliced in half-inch strips. Fry til crispy...in order not to overcook the bacon, consider adding a quarter c water as it sautes - it keeps it from burning.
-Remove the bacon pieces from the pan and set aside, leaving the fat in the pan. Add about a t of olive oil before adding 4 large minced garlic cloves on med heat to sweat.
-Add 4 to 5 oil-packed anchovy fillets to the garlic and mash 'em up with the back of a wooden spoon...Jere'll never know they're there!...and add a half t crushed red pepper flakes, some freshly ground black pepper and 2 t capers.
-Drain a 15-and-a-half oz tin of cannellini beans, reserving the liquid, and add to the garlic. When they've picked up a bit of color, either from rolling around with the pepper flakes or from the heat, add a 14-and-a-half oz tin of diced tomatoes with their juice.
-Heat through and if you need a little more liquid to make more sauce, use the reserved bean liquid...as close to the bottom of your container as possible, since it's naturally starchy and the starch settles...to thicken the sauce, of course!
-Combine with the pasta, add some grated parmesan and toss 'n serve!
[Just a note: There's no additional salt in here...it all comes from the anchovies, capers, bacon and cheese.]

Well, a good dose of comfort carbs can soothe away the crankies...but still, I think I should crawl back into my Electronic Vacuum, don't you?

2 comments:

  1. sounds very healthy & very delicious! here's to a better tomorrow for both of us!

    ReplyDelete