Friday, April 2, 2010

Day Four, and still no matzah brei

Wow! Did I get up so late as a teenager? Prolly. But by the time the guys get up, they're onto lunch. And, being a light-eating grazer by nature, I've been hitting the java and crunching some matzah spread with charoset and I'm pretty much sated.

Until the next little urge...

So as I slurp some coffee ice cream, I'll tell ya that dinner's on the guys tonight: I'm goin out!

Now, if you haven't guessed, even as a Jewish household we're blended - John isn't Jewish, but is incredibly supportive and I didn't grow up in a Kosher home - so our house rules reflect this.

When his parents came to a seder at our house, it invariably fell on Good Friday...so I made fish to go along with the brisket. [Oh, and by the way...No one missed it this year!] When we get candy for Easter which, like Christmas, we do as a secular celebration, it's the stuff without corn syrup.

And while I don't sell or even put away my chametz (levened stuff), it sits untouched throughout Passover. There's no chametz-eating in the house. That's the rule.

But, as independent and free thinkers, my guys have to make their own choices when they're out of the house. (Besides, whoever would think I could monitor them probably doesn't have teenagers!) They've been bar mitzvahed (not really a verb, but you'll let me slide, right?) and need to figure out for themselves how they want it all to work.

Would I like for them to choose to keep Passover? Who wouldn't? But I have to be realistic.

So when I told John I would be hoisting a glass of wine to celebrate a friend's birthday tonight, I reminded him that if they choose chametz for dinner, it can't come into the house. And he was OK with that. "I know you don't want it in the house," he said, "and of course I respect that."

What a guy!

So I'm off to enjoy some birthday bonding with the comforting knowledge that I raised at least one of 'em right!

I think he deserves some matzah brei tomorrow morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment