Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I'm sick of flesh

After eight days of hard, dry-as-the-Sinai matzah, I crave light, fluffy buttermilk biscuits...and since I have a wee bit of time on my hands, I can make 'em tonight! Ah, but how do I make them 'dinner?' What can I put in them...ticking off all suitable protein options, the Bubbles finally came to my rescue: Burgers!

OK, so it's more meat, but it's meat chopped into little bits - easier to choke down - and really, it's the only thing the Bubbles offered that fit on a biscuit bun!

Still being Passover, my mouth watered as I made the biscuits, but I held out!

I flavored the burgers with Worcestershire sauce and about a t of ground bean paste and John grilled 'em. Yes, with a dimple in the middle so they didn't go all ballish. And I made a salad...

...but the biscuits were the stars.

Details?
Here goes:

-Preheat oven to 450.
-In a mixer or bowl of a food processor (mine bit the dust this weekend but 2 replacement parts are on the way!) combine 1 and 3 quarters c flour with 2 t baking powder and a half t each baking soda and salt. Whir to fluff (aka sifting for the lazy).
-Add 6 T cubed frigid butter and mix only until the butter pieces are pea-sized.
-Add 3 quarters c buttermilk and combine only until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.
(These last 2 steps are to ensure the biscuits are flaky and soft...which they were!)
-Dump out onto a floured surface and kneed 8, count 'em 8, times.
-Roll out to about a half inch thick and cut to your desired size.
-Place on ungreased baking sheet and brush tops with milk.
-Bake for 12 mins...and enjoy!

Oh my...they were manna in a desert of cracker crumbs...flaky (like me!), buttery, soft, and oh so tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment