Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sunday, this is my funday

My GPS (grocery procurement system) failed me yet again. No butter. No eggs. Urgh! Maybe I should get the kind that talks to me: Um Suz, don't forget the staples - Again. Maybe one that's male with a sexy, silky voice...never mind, I'd never keep to my budget that way.

Anyhooo...

I did pick up a pork loin and since the weather was glorious yet again, it would work well along with potatoes and asparagus roasted on the grill. But how to do the meat? I decided to brine it first...it would add flavor and since I rarely brine, it would also be 'different.'

Details?
Here goes:

-In a ziptop bag, combine 2 c water with 1 c salt (kosher's all I use), a half c sugar, 1 T black peppercorns, 1 t corriander seeds, 6 whole allspice, 3 roughly chopped garlic cloves, a quarter t red pepper flakes and a handful of fresh dill sprigs (stems and all).
-Pop in the 2 lb pork loin, squeeze out the air, and seal. Refrigerate for 1 and a half to 4 hours. I did the minimum and could taste the difference.
-Before grilling on a med high grill, remove from brine (discard the brine) and sprinkle with Jerk Pork blend seasoning.

My, Oh, My. We could taste the brine right off but it didn't put a salty or sweet flavor in our mouths...it tasted luscious and tender. Or am I thinking of my fantasy GPS voice....No, it was definitely the pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment