Monday, April 12, 2010

Time to try something new

I've often wondered what it would be like to take traditionally savory dishes and turn them sweet and vice versa....I have a wonderful apple cake recipe that I've been thinking about twisting into an onion tart, but haven't gotten around to it...

What I have gotten around to is a new take on bread pudding...a Savory bread pudding...and while I was somewhat concerned that it would embody the title of the blog, I had an inner confidence that everything would be all right. I mean really, it would be, in essence, an inside-out quiche, right?

Right.

The Bubbles gave me sagey sausages, parmesan, goat cheese, scallions and seasonings...

Details?
Here goes:

-Preheat oven to 325 and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
-Chunk up a loaf of challah into 1 and a half inch cubes.
-In a large bowl, whisk to combine 6 eggs, 6 T melted butter, a quart heavy cream, 5 (3- to 4-inch long) sliced sausage links, a half c grated parmesan, 2 thinly sliced scallions, 3 minced garlic cloves, 4 oz chunked goat cheese, a half t salt, lots of ground black pepper and a half t aleppo pepper flakes.
-Add the challah cubes to the custard mixture and drown 'em so they soak up as much custard as they'll hold.
-Turn into baking dish and cover with foil.
-Bake for 50 mins, then remove foil and bake an additional 10 to 15 mins to crunch up the top.

Let me tell ya, as odd as this sounds it turned out great...it was creamy and flavorful and scarfed up by all.

Anyone up for couscous cookies? Nah, me either...but I might be on to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment