Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Anywhere but here...

...was the sentiment of the day. So dinner took its cue from a warmer part of the world...

When Jere rang, and asked The Question, I replied much like I did with Dill yesterday: Hmmm, dunno; Is there anything you have a hankering for?

And get this - I am NOT making it up - he said, "something that you make." While he clarified that he in NO way was being complimentary, I take it as a compliment. You can take it as you will.

So as the protein speech bubbles burst overhead: Do we want shrimp? Pop. Steak? Pop. Burgers? Pop. Then, I struck today's gold: Pork loin!

How 'bout, tacos? Yay! We'll have them in a traditional, aka few toppings, style. A quick stop at the market for tortillas, a chance meeting with a friend - Hi Lieve! - and we're cookin.

Got home, got the frozen loin into the defrosting tub (stainless steel bowl filled with hot water), set the martini glasses to chilling and resurrected the Behemoth (our enormous cast iron skillet)!

Details?
Here goes:

-In a pan on medium, sweat 3 minced garlic cloves, half a sliced onion and half a thinly sliced red pepper in olive oil. Salt and pepper the veg.
-Add a heaping T recaito, about 2T chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. It comes in small tins (about 7oz) and since I don't use a whole tin at once (ever!), I keep the rest in a zip-top bag in the freezer...so when I cut off a chunk, some recipes get more peppers than sauce and others get more sauce than peppers...c'est la vie.
-Cut the pork in half laterally, then in half-inch slices and saute in the pan (that already has the veg) with a bit more salt and pepper to season the meat.
-While the meat is cooking, thinly slice accouterments: about a half of a romaine lettuce heart and about three-quarters cup scallions (6 skinny guys or 3 chunky ones). And crumble a half-cup feta. (It's what I had!)
-When the pork is almost fully cooked, add zest of half an orange and a t of honey.
-Serve on warmed, soft corn tortillas. (Note: We didn't warm the tortillas, even though John suggested it, and they fractured...I ridiculously chose eating quickly over eating well. Silly me.)

The whole shebang made 12 tacos...I didn't serve anything else with it (it's that quick thing!)...and it's a good thing poor Dill's tum was still acting up 'cuz the three of us polished 'em off! He's feeling better, so I'll be sure to make enough food tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment