Friday, March 26, 2010

Let the preparations begin

Our annual spring ritual begins weeks in advance while snow still covers the land: My mother calls to see which night of Passover I want to hold the seder.

"The first," I said thinking the boys' spring break would begin the next day.
"Fine," she said, "I'll do the second."

Well, that was before all this happened...unemployment, Dill's dislocated knee, Mom's unfortunate 12-rounder with a tree and another school day added to spring break...but this happens in every family (even if it's not in a kooky clump or as extreme as this) and the story of the Exodus must be told.

So, I'm sitting here, putting fingertip to keyboard thinking about what I will make this year...

There will be some old standards and some soon-to-become standards as old and new friends ring our table. Some will be store-bought - McCaffrey's Supermarket makes a killer Sephardic charoset that's a chunky, rich spread and the soup broth and gefilte fish will come from wonderful independent shops - but all will be homemade, even if it wasn't made in my house.

Right now, my biggest conundrum is the main course: Do we want Chicken Marbella? Are we having brisket at my Mother's? How about grilled leg of lamb? Is this the year to go through with the sushi threat? Or maybe make MY fried chicken using matzah meal...

All I know is tonight's pizza night and I'm grateful for those talented guys in the shop up the street who feed us each Friday night...

I'll make salad, pour wine for my Rock of a husband and me and we'll kibitz over which entree we've wanted to eat since last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment