Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Blood is thicker than office cubicle partitions...

I feel a bit badly: I didn't cook tonight...and it's funny how these things happen.

The "call" didn't come from Jere this afternoon, but from Dill at about 5:30. He caught me debating whether or not I would do a mitzvah*. And up until his call, I was leaning toward going out of my way to support a grieving coworker.

So I don't end up sounding completely callous but only my usual amount of callous, lemme explain: The coworker I'm talking about isn't a close friend and she doesn't work in my unit but her mom passed away this weekend after a long illness. And I thought I'd go to the visiting hours tonight because she is a rather needy lady without a ton of friends.

But I guess I was waiting for something to sway me toward home...and Dill did it.

Poor guy was home sick yesterday with a 24-hour stomach bug, so when he asked 'what's for dinner?' and I kept true to my heritage replying 'is there anything you want?' And he said: Fast Food? (Yes, we're Jewish if you couldn't tell...go figure) I HAD no choice but to provide the nourishment he requested. After all, he was weak and starving! What's a mother to do?

So, I chose my child's request over my opportunity to do a mitzvah. However the guilt is strong in this one, and I'll prolly wind up making her a batch of my Wild Cookies or killer bread pudding to throw in her freezer.

Speaking of freezers...hockey's back on and King Henrik was lookin GOOOOOOD!


*Literally, a mitzvah is a commandment in Jewish law, but figuratively, as it's used here, it's a 'good deed.'

No comments:

Post a Comment