Saturday, March 27, 2010

I "think" I'm ready

But probably not.

I have my seder menu planned for 12, including options for my vegan future sister-in-law, and my GPS (aka shopping list) sketched out for tomorrow's schlep to the markets...

And for the first time in about a quarter century, my brisket's taking a holiday. I'm not making it and I'm kinda sad to break with that tradition - I know my mother-in-law would be if she were up here: She's usually not a seconds kind of gal, but she makes an exception for my brisket - overall though, I'm OK with it and hope my guests will be too.

Even without the brisket, I think I've put together a meal befitting a celebration but that'll be in the (taste)buds of the beholders...you're also welcome to add your 2 cents as it unfolds...but that food schpiel might have to wait until Tuesday when things calm down.

Tonight though, as the hockey guys gather and the days of pasta-abstinence loom, I decided a 'clean out the fridge' baked penne would soothe the athlete and the soon-to-be carb-deprived.

Details?
Here goes:

-Preheat oven to 400.
-Put on salted water to boil the pasta.
-Saute a half c diced onion and 3 minced garlic cloves in 2 t olive oil and season with a half t salt and a quarter t ground black pepper.
-When soft, add a half c diced rosemary ham (luncheon meat) and saute to brown meat a little.
-Add 1 c sliced cremini mushrooms, 2 c chopped fresh kale and season with a half t salt, quarter t pepper, 1 t aleppo pepper flakes and a half t nutmeg.
-While the kale wilts and the mushrooms color, start on the cheese mixture.
-In a large bowl, combine 1 15-oz container ricotta, 1 c shredded cheese (I only had a Mexican blend in the house - monterey jack, cheddar, asadero and 'quesadilla' cheeses, thank you Weggies - and the flavors worked fine!), 2 beaten eggs and a half jar (28 oz size) of Trader Joe's bolognese pasta sauce (a little sweet for my taste, but rather good).
-Add the sauteed veg to the cheese mixture, drain the al dente pasta and add it too, mixing thoroughly.
-Put about half the remaining jarred sauce into the bottom of a 12-ish x 8-ish baking dish and pour the pasta/cheese/veg into the baker...top with the rest of the jarred sauce.
-Bake for about 30 mins or until bubbling...

Oh, wondering why there's no parmesan in here? Didn't have any; had to adapt.

And that is the beauty of cooking!



No comments:

Post a Comment