Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A new way to call...

So it's not by phone...it's the personal touch...but the Bubbles populate just the same. Tonight, they gave me leftover chicken, soft tortilla shells and chipotles in adobo, so I made tacos to the roar of the crowd!

I bet you're wondering if dinner's any earlier 'cuz of my new circumstances...Nope, dinner's at 8p...you can (temporarily!) take the gal outta the workforce routine, but you can't take the routine outta the gal! Especially with everything else goin on at our place!

To round out dinner, I cracked open a bag o'broccoli slaw and with a few accoutrements - Thanks Dill! - we had a lovely side that would also work as a funky topping too...

Details?
Here goes:

Tacos:
-Warm the oven for the tortillas...Yes, I learned my lesson the last time!
-French half a red onion, reserving half for the slaw, and mince 2 large garlic cloves.
-Sweat in a medium pan while slicing the 2 cooked chicken breasts (about 1 lb) in thin strips.
-Add chicken to pan to warm, salt and pepper it.
-Season chicken with a half t ground cumin, 1 t adobo, about 2 T chopped chipotle in adobo sauce (from a frozen chunk...You remember that I keep the remnants of the tin in the freezer and lop off a chunk as needed, right?) and a small tin (8 oz) of low-sodium (un'flavored') tomato sauce.
-Heat through and serve on the tortillas with fresh (from-the-grocer's) salsa and small goat cheese chunks...I could've used shredded cheese I keep in the freezer, but I had the chevre, it's mild, and I didn't want it to go bad. Worked wonderfully!

Slaw:
-Dill cut up an apple in thin strips and mixed it with the bag o'slaw and the onion while I made the dressing.
-To a half cup of mayo, add 1 heaping t stoneground mustard, juice of a lime, salt and pepper.
-Toss all together and that's it! A refreshing side or topping is yours!

And the crowd goes wild! Golf claps everywhere!

And while I finish my lovely martini - Thanks John! - I should be updating my resume instead of blogging...Oh well...I'm trying not to feel guilty for taking this 'break' from raining chaos...At least the weather's turned...I'm sure it's a sign of wonderful things to come!


1 comment:

  1. have I already mentioned how much I enjoy reading your blog... I may try one of your recipes too one day ;-))

    ReplyDelete