Sunday, March 21, 2010

So it is requested...

...so it is done. Yeah, I'm getting in the Passover mood and paraphrasing Yul Brynner in The Ten Commandments...

I don't know if he were joking, but Jere asked The Question yesterday morning in reference to tonight. Of course I was clueless...and The Bubbles were asleep...but then he saved me: Can you make your mac and cheese? While wondering what he had been dreaming...I said, Oh Yeah!

So I put what I needed on the GPS, aka the shopping list, along with the rest of the week's staples...and in the haze of last night's hedonism, buoyed only by the delicious spring weather, went on my merry way.

Details?
Here goes:

-Boil pasta in salted water until al dente; I used fusilli since it was what I had and those little ridges gloriously captured the sauce.
-Preheat the oven to 400.
-In another pot, melt a stick of butter then add 6 T flour to make a roux.
-Add 4 c milk and 1 c chicken stock...recipe I use for guidance calls for all milk but I had 4 c in the jug, didn't wanna crack open the new one, so I augmented it with boxed stock in the fridge...stir constantly as you bring it to a boil.
-Add the cheese in phases, as each clump melts...I use a combo: It's what's leftover in the fridge and whatever else l feel like adding when I procure the rest...Today I used: a third lb each grated guyere and gouda with olives (thank you trust sous chef!), a half lb chunked brie sans non-melting rind and 2 T (leftover) gorgonzola.
-Season with 2 t salt and 1t ground white pepper and a half t each of smoked paprika and freshly grated nutmeg...it still needed 'something' so I added 1 t worcestershire sauce and it did the trick.
-Finely dice a jalapeno, removing as much of the seeds and membranes as your taste dictates since that's where the heat resides, and add to sauce.
-Combine the pasta in the sauce and pour into a 9 x 12 (ish) baking dish and make the topping: half c panko bread crumbs, 2 T parmesan cheese and 2 T olive oil. Mix to combine and sprinkle on the whole shebang.
-Bake until brown and bubbly...about 20 mins.

We ate what we had created...and it was good. OK, so I'm falling short on the Biblical references, but you get the idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment