Saturday, March 6, 2010

Decisions, decisions...

After weekend after weekend of snow, temps below normal and gray skies, today was a Lovely day in our neighborhood: 51 degree-high (tho my car said it was as warm as 63 a couple times) with bright sun. Ahhh...

Can spring be far? Probably. But this mirage of warmth leads me to ponder: Grill the salmon or roast it? Of course I could do either inside or outside...but I'm debating using the bbq or the oven.

(BTW, it's totally nifty that we have a natural gas grill...no tanks, no bags o'charcoal...it's ready when we are! Let's leave the flavor discussion for another time, shall we?)

I settled on sauteing...so shoot me...and making a sauce from jarred olive bruschetta (yes, I realize I used the wrong word last week-then I meant crostini, now I mean relish), fresh shallots, garlic, some cream and maybe some wine, pesto or dijon if necessary. I'm also riffing on fried artichokes and putting it all on a bed of lettuce.

But my soux chef has deserted me. He's off in Rapture, killing Big Daddies and cavorting with Little Sisters...or something like that...No! Get your mind out of the X ratings! It's rated M, for Mature (HA!), and he's hundreds of feet underwater playing the BioShock 2 video game.

The BIG problem for me is that with all the prepping I'm doing, the cocktail glasses haven't gotten chilled and my favorite mixologist isn't mixing! Yet.

Details?
Here goes:

-Do the fryin, before the fish...
-Prepare four artichokes by peeling off all the tough outside leaves and trim the stem about a half inch...final dressed veg should have the stem peeled and the 'top' trimmed by a half inch and only the tender 'yellow' outer leaves showing. (Please check a 'legitimate' cooking site to see how to dress an artichoke!) Slice laterally in quarters and place in aciduated water.
-Slice a lemon super thinly...for the first time, I used the mandolin the guys gave me for the holidays...John's used it, but he always uses 'tools' before I do, even if they're mine...
-Heat about two inches of canola oil to the 325-degree to 350-degree range.
-Meanwhile, chop 2 cloves garlic and thinly slice 1 shallot for the salmon sauce.
-Start by frying the lemon slices, salt them while draining, then fry almost dry artichokes and salt them while draining.
-Heat about 1T olive oil in large pan, and salt & pepper the salmon steak. Put the salmon in the pan, 3 mins one side, 2 mins the next...pull off to a plate and cover to warm.
-In the empty pan, add the garlic and shallot to soften then add a hefty 2T olive bruschetta, a splash of white wine...that chardonnay is still hangin on in our fridge...a t dijon and two splashes heavy cream...salt and pepper...
-Build a salad of half romaine heart and half a thinly sliced red pepper...dress with half t lemon juice, half t dijon, salt & pepper, T olive oil all whisked...put salmon on salad, and salmon sauce on the salmon...fried stuff works well in self-serve bowl...

Oh and for those wondering about Jere and the fish or Dill's hockey game...they ditched us. Yup, they left us to fend for ourselves while they went to the BIG state-playoff basketball game. Go Cougars!

Good thing I know how to cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment